Friday, October 3, 2008

A Plethora of Emotions

This journey with Adam going through leaving the nest, going through boot camp and achieving the esteemed title of a United States Marine has literally been a plethora of emotions. In many ways, I don't know WHY I have been so emotional. My parents joke that before Adam left, I was so frustrated with him that I couldn't wait for him to leave and now I'm having such a hard time with him being gone. I'd be willing to be they did the same when my siblings and I left the nest. Yes, I will admit I was frustrated with Mr. Know-It-All before he left for boot camp, but now my life is so weird without him. He's not there for me to yell at to clean up his room or take the trash out. He's not there for me to smack upside the head when he tells a dirty joke that he should NOT say in the presence of his mother! He has been in my life every single day since he was born. This (then) sixteen year old mother held my little boy for the first time, not fully understanding that he was to be the best thing that ever happened to me. Now 18 years later, it's so hard not waking up every single morning with him sleeping in another room of the house.

I cannot understate the pride that I have for him and him accomplishments. He grew up. He graduated High School. He became a Marine. He will do amazing things with his life, of that I have no doubt. He will make a good husband, a good father and in time, a good grandfather. The chapters of his life that he has written for himself have only covered a few pages in what will be a long and accomplishing life.

Looking to next week when I actually get to SEE my boy for the first time in 13 weeks, I am again full of many emotions. Pride. Anticipation. Anxiety. Nervousness. Relief. Sadness. I am about to meet my son again as if it were the first time, remembering that cold December day when I met him for the first time. It's funny. I feel many of the same emotions.

I love you son. You drive me crazy sometimes, but I would have you no other way. I can hardly wait to meet my new Marine.

No comments: