Thursday, October 9, 2008

Family Day~SEEING My Marine

This day has truly been an incredible day. Almost indescribable. It started out after only a little sleep (anxiety) and let to way too many hours of waiting. We waited for the shuttle for headed for MCRD. We waited and watched (from a distance mind you) as the new Marines practiced for graduation tomorrow. We waited some more. Then it was time to endure several hours of one of the senior drill instructors tell us the rules, give us a crash course in boot camp, make us wait more, THEN make us wait more. It was (almost) worth all of the hot air that came out of that DI's mouth. When the platoons started running up and stood in front of us, I got the first glance of my son. It literally took my breath away. So many weeks since I had saw him. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. He looked so different. Then he was gone again to finish his motivational "run", but not before I snapped several pictures of him standing in formation. Cat and I cried. I couldn't believe the wave of emotion that overtook me. When they completed their run (about 5 miles), they got into formation by the theater. I was in the back so I really couldn't see him at first, then I got a straight off view of him. He stood there, sweating like crazy and breathing heavily. After a short speech from the senior drill instructor, they called the platoons back up and they began SCREAMING a few things (honestly, I cannot even remember what they were saying). I saw the passion in him as he barked out the works. His face was strong and almost fierce. That is when I lost it. I started crying and couldn't stop. My boy was a man. He was a Marine. Oh my god, he is a Marine. I felt like it was a turning point in my life. A milestone. A change that I wasn't ready for.

Then...some more waiting. We watched a movie in the theater, walked out to the stands and found a nice spot in the front, listened to the Marine Band and held my breath as Adam marched out onto the parade deck in formation. He was in his dress "greens" (I have no idea what they are actually called!). He looked amazing. My heart was pounding. After a few speeches, they were released on "liberty" (time off, but had to stay on base). Adam's girlfriend, Cat sprinted to Adam. I gave them a moment, then found my way to him. I cannot explain how it felt to put my arms around My Marine. Pride cannot even explain it. It completely underestimated how I felt at that moment.

We wandered around the base for the rest of the day. Shopped a little. Ate even less. Talked, but found it hard to find the conversation. Adam was so different. A thousand questions ran through my mind, but it was so hard to speak them. I could only just sit there and take it in. Adam told me a little about some of the experiences he went through and admitted that he didn't tell me about some of his illnesses and injuries. I knew he was not telling me everything in his letters and was not surprised he couldn't make it through boot camp without some owies.

Another surprise was how much everyone looked up to him. The other Marines all looked up to him, even though they were all "brothers". Even his Drill Instructor said he was one of the "best ones". I couldn't believe how wonderful of a man he became.

When it was time for Adam to go back to his barracks, he handed me his Marine "pictures" that he had ordered. I looked at them and just cried. He wasn't my boy anymore. No matter how much I wanted to keep that belief that he would always be my little boy, the truth was that he wasn't anymore. He was my man. My Marine.

I cannot wait for Graduation tomorrow, but can't also wait for it to be over so he can leave and I can sit back and just talk to him. No rules. No one listening or critiquing him. I look forward to hearing all about this experience that has made him into this unbelievable person. I just hope my Adam is still in there somewhere. The changes that have taken place are good, but even standing before the well dressed, prestige Marine before me, I missed my Adam.

Sleep well my son. My Marine. My love and pride for you has never been greater. Ever. I look forward to our long talks over the past many days and I can't wait to get into a Cooking Throwdown with you!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I cried so deeply when I read this. I hope my Richie is still in there to.
Angela
PM Recruit Richie