Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Countdown...sixteen hours until I see my boy!

Yes, I finally made it to California after a very long day of traveling. Okay, the actual travel time wasn't so bad, it was the unbelievable WAITING that totally killed the day. The flight leaving was late so of course getting in was late. Then the airline lost Cat's bag (Adam's girlfriend). By the time we got out of the baggage claim office, we had missed the shuttle to the hotel. It was either wait an hour until he comes back or pay a stupid, smelly taxi driver twenty bucks to drive us a whole whopping 7 miles (plus tip). Uhg. So we waited. And waited. At least the weather is nice here. It was a little hot when we first got here, but cooled off nicely. The humidity is what stinks. My hair looked like I had stuck my finger in a light socket by the time we got to the hotel.

The hotel isn't bad. The shuttle driver was very informative on the way over explaining how things were going to work with Family Day and Graduation. It was very helpful. He also made the mistake of pointing out the barracks as we passed them and jokingly said "so close, yet so far away". If he only knew how much so.

Tomorrow is going to be weird. Our shuttle from the hotel to MCRD leaves at a lovely 7am. It's going to be a LONG, weird day. We are going to have breakfast on base since we are going to be there so damn early anyways. Then we can maybe sneek a peek at the Marines practicing drill. Then, the fun part! We get to go to the theater and watch a movie about the history of the Marine Corps! Come on now. I know this is all important, but I really would just like to see my son now. After the enriching film (no offense intended, I'm sure it will be interesting), we get to watch the platoons do a motovational run back and forth. Now mind you, I will be able to SEE my son, but not talk to him at all yet. Then there will be an awards ceremony that will last an hour and a half to two hours. THEN I get to see Adam. Not just see him, but talk to him! Hug him! Smack him (you know, for making this so excrutiatinly hard on me). After that, we get to spend almost five hours on the depot with him (he can't leave the base). We can go shopping, go to the museum and have lunch. It will be good. It's going to be hard saying goodbye for the evening, but I will take whatever blessings I can get. By noon tomorrow, I get to see my boy, face to face. Will I even recognize him? Will he still be my Adam? I don't know, but I hope so.
Good night son. Your mama gets to see you in mere hours. (Oh, and your girlfriend too which I'm sure rates a little higher on the food chain than dear old mom right now.)

P.S. Cat was a little funny on the plane here. This was her first time on an airplane and her fascination was amusing and sweet.

No comments: