Monday, August 11, 2008

The last of it is done...

Well, I conquered the last of the things in Adam's room this weekend. I boxed them up, labeled them and stacked them in the garage for storage. I can't believe how much JUNK this kid has! I labeled the last boxes so that WHEN he does come back on leave, he'll be able to find his wallet and other essentials. This was the final acceptance of Adam being gone and the realization that he doesn't live here anymore. It's sad to realize that. Sure, he'll visit, but then he will leave again and there will be times that I won't see him for months at a time. (I certainly hope it's not "years" at a time!) I have still only seen the one letter from him, despite the THREE letters I sent him and am anxious (an understatement) to hear from him again, even if it's brief. I would be so happy for a quick phone call too, although I know he's super busy becoming a Marine. I just miss him.

Adam's poor cat was in a state of confusion when we started moving Canaan into what USE to be Adam's room (sob). He wandered around the room, sniffed everything and plopped his big furry butt on the shelf as if to say "I'm not moving until he comes home". The room that Canaan USE to be in became a play room for the girls. Since Canaan is away for the week (and doesn't know I did this), it hasn't fully set it that it's HIS room now.

Another step taken. So many more to go. I hope this week will bring us news from boot camp. I'll take a sticky note with a simple "I'm okay, love you & miss you". Anything. I'm really starting to look forward to seeing him at graduation. Sure, he may be doing all the physical and mental training, but Mom's do all the emotional training and earn that graduation too. I can wait to see my boy...no, not boy...Man...Son...Marine.

No comments: